Governor Abbott Welcomes Increase in Jobs in Lone Star State | Texas Governor’s Office
Governor Greg Abbott today released a statement following the release by the Texas Workforce Commission (TWC) of June employment figures showing continued economic expansion as Texas employers created 55,800 jobs in during the month, marking job growth in 13 of the past 14 months, as the unemployment rate fell to 6.5% as more Texans returned to the workforce.
“The Texas economy is booming. Businesses are investing in the Lone Star State at an all-time high because we’ve built a framework that allows free enterprise to thrive and hardworking Texans to thrive, ”Governor Abbott said. “The June Jobs Report shows that our young, growing and skilled workforce has forged a diverse and resilient economy, with Texas employers creating more than 1.1 million jobs since the end of April 2020 , the peak of the impact of the pandemic on employment. This increase in hiring continues today with as many jobs posted on TWC’s job boards as there are Texans looking for work. I encourage all Texans looking for a new job or a better job to use the free job search resources made available to them by TWC, because Texas works when Texans are working.
Services for job seekers
- JOBS: There are over 930,000 jobs available in the 866,000 online postings at MyTXCareer.com, a free and easy way to find a job in Texas. Start your search here: mytxcareer.com. These jobs are also listed on WorkinTexas.com, a more comprehensive online job search and matching system. Check out these free services here: workintexas.com
- JOB SEARCH ASSISTANCE: Free one-on-one job search assistance is available at more than 180 Workforce Solution Centers in communities across the state. Find a location near you: twc.texas.gov/directory-workforce-solutions-offices-services
- JOB FAIRS: Free career fairs, both virtual and in-person, are hosted by Workforce Development Boards in Texas communities to connect job seekers and hiring employers. Check out these almost daily career fairs here: twc.texas.gov/job-fairs
- FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE FOR CHILD CARE: Texans can receive help paying for child care expenses while job hunting by enrolling in TWC’s Child Care Grant program. This financial aid is also available to employed Texans and those participating in education or training. A Workforce Solution Center near you can help you with the application process. Find out more here: texaschildcaresolutions.org/financial-assistance-for-child-care
- CHILD CARE LOCATION MAP: To find daycares near you, during your job search or when working, look for this map according to your needs: find.childcare.texas.gov
- FREE SKILLS COURSES: Over 5,000 free courses are available online through TWC and Metrix Learning to help Texans hone their skills to prepare for better employment opportunities. Read more here: twc.texas.gov/jobseekers/skillsenhancementtools
- CV WRITING HELP: Texans who need help writing or updating their resumes can contact their local Workforce Solutions Center for this free job search help. Find a location near you: twc.texas.gov/directory-workforce-solutions-offices-services
- TRAINING FOR RESTAURANT JOBS: Free and flexible online training to quickly prepare workers for restaurant jobs is offered by TWC and the Texas Restaurant Association as part of the Restaurant Recovery Initiative. To obtain the free ServSafe Food Handler and / or TABC Seller / Server certification, apply online here: certification.txrestaurant.org/
- DISABLED TEXANS: TWC offers free job search programs and services to Texans with physical or cognitive disabilities, including blindness or visual impairment. Find a Texas Workforce Solutions-Vocational Rehabilitation Services office near you: webp.twc.state.tx.us/services/VRLookup/ or start the process online with Start my VR.
- VETERANS: Veterans receive priority service at all Workforce Solutions Centers for toll-free placement services, job search resources, training programs, resume and application assistance, and support. career development assistance. Many offices have veterans representatives. Find a location near you: twc.texas.gov/directory-workforce-solutions-offices-services
Services for hiring employers
- LOCAL WORKFORCE CENTERS: Employers can receive free assistance in recruiting, identifying and hiring qualified people through 28 local Workforce Development Boards and over 180 Workforce Solution Centers. works located throughout the state. Find a location near you: twc.texas.gov/directory-workforce-solutions-offices-services
- FIND CANDIDATES: Start your search at WorkInTexas.com
- POST JOB OPERATIONS: Register and publish job offers on WorkInTexas.com
- TRAINING SCHOLARSHIPS: TWC’s Skills Development Fund program helps businesses and unions by funding the design and implementation of personalized vocational training projects. Read more here: twc.texas.gov/businesses/skills-development-fund-employers
- LEARNING FINANCING: If you are an employer and would like information about funding related classroom instruction for adults in registered apprenticeship training programs, contact the Texas Workforce Commission at [email protected]
- ICYMI, STABLE TAX RATE ON HQ: TWC used legislative power to set Unemployment Insurance (UI) tax rates for 2021 at a stable level, consistent with 2020 rates, to avoid pushing Texas businesses a significant increase taxes resulting from closures related to the pandemic beyond their control. Read more: Press release