GALVESTON.COM: Artist Boat Kayak Adventure: Coastal Heritage Reserve
This destination lies within the natural and restored marshes protecting one of the most pristine examples of a dune / channel complex on Galveston Island. Join us in discovering the wonders of the dune and channel complex and wetlands and in celebrating nature while imagining our future home.
What to bring:
- Sturdy shoes such as boots or sneakers. NO FLIP FLOPS. Your feet will be wet and muddy.
- Long pants and a light, long-sleeved shirt are recommended
- Drinking water, lunch and snacks
- Hat, bug spray, sunscreen and sunglasses
- Plastic bag for trash. We are not allowed to leave food debris in our trash. It is a question of taking away – of executing.
- A waterproof bag is recommended if you plan to carry a cell phone or camera on the kayak.
What to prepare for:
- Cold or hot weather. Prepare with clothes that will keep you warm or cool. Dressing in layers is often a good idea. You will get wet.
- Wild animals. There are fire ants and bees in the reserve. We have never had a problem with them, but be vigilant and take the proper precautions.
- Maintain a physical distance (6 feet) from the Artist Boat employee at all times.
Artist Boat is a non-profit organization dedicated to promoting awareness and preservation of coastal margins and the marine environment through the disciplines of science and the arts.