Data collection is still ongoing in the city of Male
The Maldives Bureau of Statistics (MBS) is still collecting data in the Greater Male region for the 2022 census.
The census was due to be carried out from the 13th to the 25th last month. However, MBS decided to continue data collection on September 26 and 27 as there were some places in Male and Hulhumalé where information was not available. At the time, MBS said data was not collected from more than 900 locations in the Greater Male region due to lack of people or inaccessibility of buildings.
Responding to a question from AVAS on Sunday, MBS chief statistician Aishath Hassan said enumerators previously recruited to carry out the census have now been released. However, there are still places in the city where information has yet to be collected. MBS employees are used to collect data from these locations, she said.
“Our staff are still collecting information. They visit buildings where data was not previously collected due to the inaccessibility of buildings and the impossibility of meeting people. They also collect information about people’s residences by phone,” she said.
The MBS previously decided to announce the provisional results on the 6th of this month. However, interim results will no longer be announced as data collection is still pending from many residences and businesses. However, the final results will be announced on October 20, National Statistics Day.